Does your laptop have a broken DC power jack? This page will try to inform you about this problem.
Symptoms of a broken DC power jack:
- The laptop only operates when you hold the power cord in a certain direction.
- The laptop only runs on battery power.
- The laptop gets no power at all.
- The laptop will not charge the battery.
- The laptop switches from AC power to battery power intermittently.
- The laptop suddenly shuts off.
- Sparks come out of the back of the laptop. (This is always bad)
How a DC jack breaks?
- The power jack on most models of laptops do not have enough reinforcement within the structure of the casing and motherboard to handle the stress caused by movement of the power plug.
- Some power jacks simply fail under normal operation of your computer. After a year or two of usage, parts just come loose on certain models.
- Sometimes the laptop gets dropped and the cord yanks the DC jack loose.
- People, pets and vacuum cleaners trip over laptop power cords and break the power jack.
- The laptop is moved around a lot. After the DC jack is moved back and forth enough times, it comes loose.
Getting a new DC power jack installed by us:
This is a repair we do on a daily basis on ALL brands of laptops for individual customers. If you need a DC jack repair, just give us a call or email. One of our friendly staff will be happy to assist you.
Q. What geographical areas do you serve?
A. Our laptop repair service covers everywhere it can be shipped with a local carrier if you need this service please contact me. If you want it collected it is limited to the Solihull area.
Q. Will this repair work on my brand of laptop?
A. Yes, we repair the jack on all brands of laptop computers. More accurately, we replace the DC jack in laptops. Some of the most common laptops that require DC jack repair that we see are HP (Pavilion and Omnibook ), Compaq (Armada and Presario series), Dell (Inspiron and Latitude), Acer (Travelmate and Aspire ), Toshiba (we see a lot of the Satellite series), Sony (Vaio), IBM (Thinkpad), Gateway, Emachines, Samsung, Asus and Panasonic.
Q. How much does it cost to have my power jack replaced? Are there any hidden charges?
A. Laptop DC power jack replacement costs you £69.00. That’s it. There are no hidden or surprise charges.
Q. What if it can’t be fixed?
A. On very rare occasions, part of the motherboard is broken where that jack actually attaches. This usually only happens if the cord was yanked out very hard. When the unit is opened and we note this, we do not do the repair and do not charge you for the jack repair. We will give you some options, including sending the laptop back, a quote on a replacement motherboard or other options.
Q. How long does it take?
A. We repair laptops in the order received. Turnaround time on our DC power jack repair is typically less than 2 business days. Sending your laptop to the manufacturer for repair (actually motherboard replacement) could take 6 weeks or more!
Q. Will my DC jack ever break again?
A. We do this repair daily and the laptop technicians performing the repair are very good at it, however, we cannot change the engineering of your laptop. Some DC jacks mount in to your laptop’s motherboard by as few as three small pins. Most laptops never return for service a second time, but note there is no guarantee the same thing won’t happen again if the cable is jolted hard enough.
Q. Is there a warranty on the repair?
A. Yes! We stand behind our work and the jack itself with a 30-day guarantee against defective parts and installation. You are covered in the event the jack repair was not performed properly. We are proud to say we have less than a 1% return rate on our power jack repair work. That means less than 1 out of every 250 of our laptop DC jack repair jobs come back for a warranty issue!
If you have any other questions regarding our laptop DC jack repair service please feel free to Contact us on 0121 744 0377